Friday, March 25, 2011

Recovery Preparation and Planning

This is my fourth day out from surgery and I have noticed this morning that the feeling of fullness has disipated somewhat and I am able to get liquids down with greater ease.  I was able to reach an intake of 60 ounces yesterday and I fully expect to hit my 64 ounce goal today.  The pain has deminished and I am able to move a little easier as well.  I'm looking forward to taking a good walk outside today with my dog, Fancy Mae.

In preparing for my surgery I wish I had looked into a few things earlier.  I would have liked a tour of the facility where my surgery was performed and to have seen the unit of rooms where I would stay post-operatively.  Comfort is key after surgery, be certain the chairs in the room are comfortable, the bed is comfortable and above all that the bathroom is adequate.  My only complaint about my hospital room is that a handheld shower head would have made my first post-op shower so much easier.

If you have any modesty issues they will go out the window during and after your surgery.  The nurses see these things all of the time, but if you aren't used to being naked in front of strangers, it's a bit of an unnerving experience.  During this experience I'm sure I had to have exposed myself to at least a half dozen nursing and a male aide.  While it wasn't pleasant, it was all a part of the job for them and I appreciate the assistance they afforded me in a dignified way.

My abdomen looks like I was brutally attacked by an angry group of knife wielding bandits.  I have six incisions.  The largest is on my right near my liver and it's the one that I feel the most.  The other five have grown relatively painless.  I also have three small punctures.   I'm sure the doctor could explain them, but my best guess is that they were inflation points where they connected the helium tanks to make me into a big flesh colored Hindenberg.

No comments: