Sunday, March 27, 2011

Walking Hungry and the Sweet Siren Song of Food

The last two days I have been encouraged to do a lot of walking.  It has helped with the operative gas.  Yesterday I treked to the mall to pick up a couple of IDC whey liquid protein shots.  It's 42 grams of protein in a 3.8 ounce shot.  It seemed like the perfect solution to my protein vs volume issue.  I picked up a couple at my local GNC to try at $3.99 a shot.  I found them at invigorate360.com for half the price, but because everything is certain to be different with my digestion post-surgery I wanted to be sure they would work for me.  I brought them home and put them in the fridge and I had my first one this morning.  It was very sweet and the fruit punch flavor was pleasant, but there was a definite whey after taste that was not.  This is my first time trying any kind of protein suppliment so I'm sure it's an acquired taste.

I drank the entire container at in about 3 swallows and I didn't respond to it well.  This was a lot more protein and calories, 180 per container, but no sugar, no fat, no lactose and no caffeine, than I've had in a while.  I became nauseous and I got the chills that typically precede a stomach sickness.  I expected I might throw up, but I kept it down with regular sips of orange Crystal Light.  I'm thinking I might try the 2nd shot diluted by half with Crystal Light to see if it goes down a little better. 

I accepted an invitation to walk a local flea market for a little more exercise in hopes of being a little more capable next week.  I did well with the walking. We were there for about four hours parusing the wares and around every corner there was some wonderful and tasty temptation calling to me, freshly made popcorn, smoked brisket, gorditas, smoked turkey legs, yes, the hunger has returned. In spite of my thinking that I could get one and just chew very, very well and get it down I sipped on my organic sugar free lemonade I packed from home.  Victoria got a Magic Bullet blender for Christmas from her dear sister and it really is magic.  You can put in an entire lemon, peel and all and get just juice out of it.  Dilute with some bottled water and add a little artificial sweetener and you have a perfect lemonage.  Coming home was tough.  Victoria prepared for herself a beautiful dinner and all I could do was sit there with the sights, sounds and smells of that meal and having to think that I have some beautiful cherry jello waiting for me and if that's not enough there is a night fruit punch protein shot just begging to get opened.  Being that I'm only on my 7th day out from surgery I'm sure eating anything other than these damned liquids is ill advised.  The truely disappointing thing is that for all of my work pre-op I am bigger now that I was the day before my surgery, mostly due to swelling and gas I hope, but it would be nice to see at least a little progress.

No comments: